[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng under Windows (Cygwin - copying from another pc)

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 13:18:01 CEST 2013

On Jun 17 12:05, Tom Doberstein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using syslog-ng in cygwin under WinXP.
>
> On my developer pc I have no problems, everything works very fine. But when
> I copy the cygwin directory

This sounds a lot as if you lost important permission bits, like the
right to execute a certain module.  Are the two machines standalone
machines or running in a AD domain?  If the first, you created probably
invalid ACLs since the SIDs of the user accounts are different, except
for the builtin accounts.  This affects especially the local cyg_server
default account running the services.  It has a different SID on each
machine, obviously.  Also, if you didn't regenerate the /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files, the POSIX uid/gid to Windows SID translation is broken
(again: Other machine, other SIDs).

Bottom line is, don't copy over a Cygwin installation from one machine
to another, unless you know exactly what you're doing and how to fix the
settings in /etc and elsewhere afterwards.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer