[syslog-ng] syslog-ng OSE configurator

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Jan 15 10:40:37 CET 2013

Anton Koldaev <koldaevav at gmail.com> writes:

> Oh man. Who told you it's any good to use web interface when building a
> complex configuration? Everybody who needs automatisation for building
> syslog-ng conf files are already using Opscode-Chef/Puppet/other
> frameworks. Even using a good text editor it's much easier to build complex
> configurations for such software as Syslog-NG.

There's another use case you probably have not thought of: quickly
hacking together a config for testing purposes. I could use my trusty
old editor to get the job done, but syslog-ng.conf is verbose. Very
verbose, and for me, it is a welcome change to be able to click together
a config. It is probably slower than writing by hand, but much less
annoying, and less annoyance is always a good thing.

I found the configurator to be very useful in my daily work, in cases
when I don't need overly complex configs (and most often, I do not), but
something simple I can click together with one hand, while sipping
coffee. This thing allows me to do that, and does so marvellously fine.