[syslog-ng] tcp on syslog 2.0.x vs 3.3.x

Sandor Geller Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Thu Apr 18 15:38:59 CEST 2013

Hi,

I think it's rather an issue on the reader side not on the sender. With
stream sources using unstructured data (like the plain tcp source driver)
it is impossible to differentiate between an embedded newline and the end
of a message which is also a newline. A read-ahead-like heuristics could
work around this to some extent but it won't be a proper solution (due to
how TCP works there is no guarantee that whole messages will be transmitted
in a packet and there will be data in the socket to read to see whether the
next line looks like a syslog header) so I'd recommend using the syslog()
driver.

Probably there has been something implemented already, I'm not sure.

Regards,

Sandor