[syslog-ng] Debugging tools for syslog-ng

Anton Koldaev koldaevav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 22:33:17 CET 2012

Thanks for your reply
How can I understand when it's enough to increase things? Is there any
manual way to get current values of each buffer, etc?
Also since I'm logging a lot of things I'd love to know if there are some
other ways to lose messages without seeing them in "dropped"?

> In general, performance wise you want to increase stuff (log-fetch-limit,
log-iw-size, flush-lines for file destinations), memory-use and reliability
wise you want to decrease them.
> Also, you have to make sure that sum(log-iw-size) < log-fifo-size.
So you propose just randomly tune those params? I just don't understand how
should I get check if it helped. I need to see the current state of each
buffer(to be able to get some statistics data) to see if it helps.

And one more specific question:
> If flow-control is in use and one of the destinations cannot accept the
messages, the other destinations do not receive any messages either,
because syslog-ng stops reading the source.
Why there is no messages about it in syslog-ng logs? It must be error,
don't you think so?
And what if I don't have flow-control enabled?