[syslog-ng] Debugging tools for syslog-ng

Balazs Scheidler bazsi77 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 22:17:01 CET 2012

----- Original message -----
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if syslog-ng developers has some tools like mysqltuner
> or just a shell scripts to check syslog-ng configuration and get some
> recommendations on tuning?
>
> There is a lot of information about all the buffers/window sizes, etc.
> and it's very complicated to set the proper values if I have a bunch of
> different sources/destinations.
>
> For example if I'm using flow-control+multiple destinations it can stop
> reading the source at any time and I have no idea when and why it's
> happening and which value should I tune.

I agree that it's too complicated, and I also pondered with the idea to automatically configure those, however I didn't have enough time to pursue it myself. (hint, I'd love a patch in this area!)

In general, performance wise you want to increase stuff (log-fetch-limit, log-iw-size, flush-lines for file destinations), memory-use and reliability wise you want to decrease them.

Also, you have to make sure that sum(log-iw-size) < log-fifo-size.