[syslog-ng] syslog-ng maintenance changes

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed May 30 06:32:21 CEST 2012

Hi,

I had a decreasing amount of time to work on syslog-ng in the past year, as you may have noticed by my absense on the mailing list, and the relative rarity of my blog posts.

More and more is done by Algernon (aka Gergely Nagy), and I felt it to be incorrect to be the bottleneck in a number of cases.

Even though Algernon is emloyed by BalaBit, his daily job didn't and doesn't mandate such close relationship with syslog-ng. That was his own motivation, and I think that is a key to maintaining or developing open source software.

After talking to him in real life, we've decided to make a shift, he is going to maintain the 3.3 tree and making releases instead of myself. This will make 3.3 maintenance smoother, and free some precious time for me, which I'd use to work on the 3.4 features.

The location of the syslog-ng trees will change too, they would be
available at:

  git://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng-3.3.git
  git://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng-3.4.git

or the web interface at:

  http://github.com/balabit

I am certain that this change is for the better of syslog-ng, and I hope the conclusion of the community will be the same in a few months. I really thank him for helping me out.

Cheers,