[syslog-ng] make error syslog-ng 3.3.4 AIX 5.2

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Jun 29 17:21:41 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 19:02 +0530, Rakesh Rajasekharan wrote:
> Hello Gergely,
>
> I have tried including -liconv  by adding CFLAGS="-liconv", but that
> did not help. I am not sure if that this is the right means to include
> -liconv or something else.
> Please advice.

glib detected that you are using a gnu libiconv but not installed as a
system library, thus instead of iconv_open, it uses the symbol
libiconv_open to avoid clashing with system symbols.

It might also happen that it detected GNU libiconv and then linked
against the system iconv.

This is the configure portion that glib uses (in my ancient copy) to
detect libiconv. Make sure that it detects the correct one and links to
it at compile time. Consulting config.log, checking all the relevant
PATHs should fix your issue.

found_iconv=no
case $with_libiconv in
  maybe)
    # Check in the C library first
    AC_CHECK_FUNC(iconv_open, [with_libiconv=no; found_iconv=yes])
    # Check if we have GNU libiconv
    if test $found_iconv = "no"; then
      AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, libiconv_open, [with_libiconv=gnu;
found_iconv=yes])
    fi
    # Check if we have a iconv in -liconv, possibly from vendor
    if test $found_iconv = "no"; then
      AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, iconv_open, [with_libiconv=native;
found_iconv=yes])
    fi
    ;;
  no)
    AC_CHECK_FUNC(iconv_open, [with_libiconv=no; found_iconv=yes])
    ;;
  gnu|yes)
    AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, libiconv_open, [with_libiconv=gnu;
found_iconv=yes])
    ;;
  native)
    AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, iconv_open, [with_libiconv=native;
found_iconv=yes])
    ;;
esac

You might as well want to grab a compiled glib from an AIX binary
archive from here:

http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Glib2

or check our syslog-ng PE AIX packages.