[syslog-ng] Able to connect but not logging

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Fri Jul 27 17:55:47 CEST 2012

kibirango moses <kibsmoses at gmail.com> writes:

[server config]
[...]
> source system { internal();
>                   unix-stream("/dev/log");
>                   udp();
>                   tcp(max_connections(100)); };
[...]
> # Remote logging
> source s_remote {
>   tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
>   udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
> };

These two conflict. the system source will already bind to port 514,
both on udp and on tcp, so the s_remote source will not be able
to. Therefore, nothing will ever arrive from there, and as a
consequence, nothing will make it into the logpile destination, either.

> I am not seeing any logging being registered . How can i solve this and
> where have i gone wrong.

In general, if you run syslog-ng in the foreground, with verbose mode
and debugging enabled (-Fvde), it will tell you a lot more about what is
happening.