[syslog-ng] Error trying to restart service

James McDonald jmcdonald at LCE.com
Mon Jul 2 18:17:11 CEST 2012

I am trying to verify if we have a registered BOSS account.  I checked both
the passwd and nsswitch files and they looked fine.  Other services that I
restarted (as root) did not produce the error that I get when I try to
restart the syslog-ng service.

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
[mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Gergely Nagy
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 10:54 AM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] Error trying to restart service

James McDonald <jmcdonald at LCE.com> writes:

> We are using version 4.0.1a.  I am using 'service syslog-ng restart.'
> Below is the output I get from running that command:

Ah, if it is PE, then I'd suggest you contact us via BOSS. This list is for
the OpenSource Edition of syslog-ng.

Nevertheless:

> [root at server-name ~]# service syslog-ng restart
> WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, please update it to use
> the
> 4.1 format as some constructs might operate inefficiently;
> WARNING: global: the default value of log_fifo_size() has changed to
> 10000 in syslog-ng 4.1 to reflect log_iw_size() changes for
> tcp()/udp() window size changes; Error resolving user; user='root'
> Error resolving group; group='root'

This suggests that syslog-ng can't figure out what uid the root user has.
This usually means that /etc/passwd is borked, or Name Server Switch
functionality (see /etc/nsswitch.conf) is somehow not working.