[syslog-ng] Error trying to restart service

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Jul 2 16:53:31 CEST 2012

James McDonald <jmcdonald at LCE.com> writes:

> We are using version 4.0.1a.  I am using 'service syslog-ng restart.'  Below
> is the output I get from running that command:

Ah, if it is PE, then I'd suggest you contact us via BOSS. This list is
for the OpenSource Edition of syslog-ng.

Nevertheless:

> [root at server-name ~]# service syslog-ng restart
> WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, please update it to use the
> 4.1 format as some constructs might operate inefficiently;
> WARNING: global: the default value of log_fifo_size() has changed to 10000
> in syslog-ng 4.1 to reflect log_iw_size() changes for tcp()/udp() window
> size changes;
> Error resolving user; user='root'
> Error resolving group; group='root'

This suggests that syslog-ng can't figure out what uid the root user
has. This usually means that /etc/passwd is borked, or Name Server
Switch functionality (see /etc/nsswitch.conf) is somehow not working.