[syslog-ng] version 3.4 init script?

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Wed Feb 29 11:40:01 CET 2012

Jenei Gábor <jengab at elte.hu> writes:

> I have a small problem with the newly compiled 3.4 version's init script
> in Debian like environments(Debian wheezy and Linux Mint Debian
> Edition). It loads syslog-ng upon startup in runlevel 2, but I cannot
> stop the program later by /etc/init.d/syslog-ng stop as it is shown
> twice in the process list with a low process ID first around 1500 and
> second time the running instance that I can control, but the low PID
> version loads back the closed instance.

The lower PID is the supervisor, you can disable it by passing
--process-mode=background to syslog-ng (the default is safe-background,
which launches the supervisor).

> Is it a multithread issue maybe?  I've just set syslog-ng to run on
> multiple cores. Or Is it possibly a misconfigure of my init script? If
> I list the running instances and kill them all then syslog-ng stops,
> but I guess this is not the best way to shutdown the service.

I suppose the problem is that your init script is not
supervisor-aware. The init script I use in my own debianisation[1] does
work with the supervisor, so it might be useful to have a look at it,
and see if it works for you, or if you can modify yours based on that.

 [1]: https://raw.github.com/algernon/syslog-ng/debian/3.3/debian/syslog-ng-core.syslog-ng.init