[syslog-ng] Documentation questions

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Feb 13 11:43:35 CET 2012

Chris Johnson <masterof0 at gmail.com> writes:

> I was reading through the documentation, and noticed that in some examples the log statements are named:
>
> log demo_filteredlog {
> source(s1);
> filter(demo_filter);
> destination(d1);};
>
> When I tried using this method in my config file, syslog-ng fails to
> start. Is this method supported or is this just an oversight with the
> documentation?

I think it's a bug in the docs, but that's just my gut feeling. It might
have been supported in the past, but as far as I see from the code, it's
not a supported syntax in 3.3.

> Also, the links to the sample pattern database
> (http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files/patterndb-snapshot/?utm_source=syslog-ng-ose-guide-admin-en&utm_medium=pdf-guide&utm_campaign=syslog-ng-ose-guide-admin-en)
> apprears to be incorrect. Is this the same pattern database at
> /downloads/files?path=/patterndb-snapshot? or is there a more recent
> one available to download?

http://git.balabit.hu/?p=czanik/syslog-ng-patterndb.git;a=summary is the
newest, I believe. But there are probably a lot of patterns scattered
around in the mailing list archives, and in various software built that
use syslog-ng under the hood.