[syslog-ng] 3.3.4 anyone else notice a memory leak

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri Feb 10 23:57:07 CET 2012

Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Evan Rempel <erempel at uvic.ca> writes:
>
>> I am fairly certain that there is a memory leak. How do I help track
>> it down?
>
> Looking at your config, I don't recall any known problems in those
> areas, but I'll try to reproduce the problem.
>
> Meanwhile, if you have time, running syslog-ng under valgrind would be
> very, very useful. If you do that, please set the G_SLICE environment
> variable to always-malloc, otherwise due to glib's allocator, the
> results will be severley screwed and hardly usable.

Yup, I can reproduce it. The output of valgrind does not appear to
show the leak. If I run syslog-ng and do NOT send any data to it (it processes no
log lines) the output of valgrind is the same as if it processes 100,000 log lines,
however, when I "dump" 100,000 log lines

% wc /home1l/erempel/log
   107590  1233928 18956930 /home1l/erempel/log

into the pipe (cat /home1l/erempel/log > pipe) the memory footprint of syslog-ng
grows by 3MB, every time I dump in the log lines.

I have attached the config file and two valgrind outputs.

Evan Rempel                               erempel at uvic.ca
Senior Systems Administrator                 250.721.7691
Unix Services, University Systems, University of Victoria