[syslog-ng] syslog-ng large NVTable patch

Peter Eisenlohr peter.eisenlohr at inform-software.com
Mon Feb 6 14:43:16 CET 2012

Hi Balazs,

thanks for taking this on.

31.01.2012 18:22, Balazs Scheidler:
> The patches are not yet on master, but are available in the
> "32bit-nvtable" branch in my github repo.

I'm having trouble accessing github because I'm behind a proxy, but on
the other hand, this might just be my lack of experience with git.

# git clone https://github.com/bazsi/syslog-ng-3.4.git

So I currently don't know how to get the updated version of the patch.
If that is enough, I could 'sign' my original positing of the patch,
though. Otherwise, I will try from home later.

> Also, I'd welcome any feedback you might have on the NVTable code, it's
> a tricky one at best, and you really went ahead and did things right.
> Was it easy to understand/modify?

Frankly: No :) I understand that this was programmed with efficiency in
mind, but this also results in a couple of constructs which would not be
needed for a generic (but less efficient) key-value-storage. When making
my changes, I ran into a couple of bugs which were very hard to debug:
Putting the first value into the table seemingly succeeded, but silently
overwrote some other part of the table -- which I would notice only much
later. I ended up writing  check_internal_structure() and dump_table()
functions.

Getting rid of the shifting arithemtics makes the code more simple. I
did not do that because I wanted to keep the patch as small as possible.

   Peter