[syslog-ng] max recursion depth on filters?

Patrick Hemmer syslogng at stormcloud9.net
Sat Feb 4 02:37:06 CET 2012

Is there a maximum depth on recursive filter statements?
I seem to have an issue which would indicate so.

For example, in the config below, i have f_discard, which calls
f_iptables_discard, which calls f_iptables. I have it like this so that
its easy to read, configure, and add other filters. Its supposed to
result in lines matching this to not be logged, but its not working.
However if I take the contents of `f_iptables_discard` and put them
directly into `f_discard` it works fine.

filter f_iptables {
     program('^kernel')
     and message('^\s*\[\s*[\d\.]+\] iptables/' type(pcre))
};
filter f_iptables_discard {
     # ignore iptables broadcast messages
     filter(f_iptables)
     and message('MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff')
     ;
};

filter f_discard {
     not (
         filter(f_iptables_discard)
     );
};
rewrite r_tag {
     set('iptables', value('DBTAG') condition(filter(f_iptables)));
};

log {
     source(s_local); source(s_net);
     rewrite(r_tag);