[syslog-ng] Handling multiple timezones

Fekete Robert frobert at balabit.hu
Fri Apr 6 10:36:22 CEST 2012

Hi, while there might be other options, I can think of the following  possibilities:

- Your B solution would work for the same IP address but using different ports
for the different time zones
- If all your clients in the US/Pacific timezone can include the timezone
information, you can set the time_zone() option of your source to UTC, and
syslog-ng will apply this information only to the messages that do not include
timezone information.
- If the above does not work, and you must stick to a single source, you can try
to use a filter to select the clients of the Pacific timezone (using the host or
the netmask filter for example), and send these messages into a loop destination
(a socket or the loopback interface). That way you can set the timezone, and
re-read the messages from a second, local source. Of course, this might be
problematic performance-wise, this depends on the amount of messages.

Robert