[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Insider - September 2011

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu Sep 8 15:34:40 CEST 2011

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 6th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng related news.
Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com <mailto:documentation at balabit.com>

POLL

Please take a minute to answer three syslog-ng performance related
questions at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6ZQDVH6

FEATURED NEWS

Please test 3.3 git!
--------------------
Version 3.3 release is just around the corner. There were many smaller
fixes since the last beta release, so please check out the latest source
code from git and help us to make sure the release is free from known
problems!
Your feedback is very valuable, especially if you could test it in real
world situations with logs and configurations we could never imagine
ourselves. As threading is a major new feature, which is not enabled by
default, please try it by adding “threaded(yes)” to your options in
syslog-ng.conf
You can download it by “git clone
git://git.balabit.hu/bazsi/syslog-ng-3.3” or browse sources online at
http://git.balabit.hu/?p=bazsi/syslog-ng-3.3.git;a=summary

Documentation is also available:
http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-ose-3.3-guides/syslog-ng-ose-v3.3-guide-admin-en.html/index.html-single.html
Binary packages from latest git are available:

    * openSUSE:
      http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/czanik:/syslog-ng33/
    * Debian:
      https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2011-August/017126.html

Logs for patterns, patterns for logs
------------------------------------
We also would like to extend our UNIX/Linux patterns. Creating logs in a
"lab" environment just for pattern creation is very time consuming. It
would be very helpful for us, if you could send logs in exchange for
patterns. Just make sure, that there is no sensitive data left in the
logs, as the result will be published to make it available for the whole
syslog-ng community.
I published a blog ( http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2010/11/log-sample-
<http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2010/11/log-sample-collecting-project/>collecting-project/
<http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2010/11/log-sample-collecting-project/>
), how I collect logs for pattern creation, but of course, any logs are
welcome!

Syslog clients for Windows
--------------------------
Central logging using syslog is long part of the UNIX / Linux
infrastructure. But if someone also happens to have Windows machines, it
is still possible to use the proven syslog-ng servers. There are many
clients available, both open and closed source, ranging from simple
event forwarders to complex logging solutions. Here is a collection of them:
http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/09/syslog-clients-for-windows/

OTHER SHORT NEWS

    * Octopussy now supports syslog-ng:
      http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/08/octopussy/
    * We published some patterns for Windows Server 2008 (most of these
      should also work with other releases):
      http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/07/patterns-for-windows-server-2008/

WHITE PAPERS

Download our latest white paper titled "Logging, the Pillar of
Compliance". From this White Paper you can learn:
* How can you avoid a breach of compliance, and ensure your business
continuity.
* What are the key IT security requirements of the most frequently
applied standards, such as the ISO 27001, PCI, SOX or COBIT.
* How advanced logging technology can contribute to cost-effective
compliance and successful accomplishment of audits.
It is available at http://www.balabit.com/compliance-and-logging

*syslog-ng PE Case Study - DataPath Inc.*
DataPath, founded in 1984, is a management-owned, privately held company
based in Little Rock, Arkansas, that produces software solutions for
administering employee benefit plans. They implemented a SYSLOG-NG AGENT
FOR WINDOWS-based logging infrastructure to meet HIPAA and PCI DSS
requirements in their Microsoft-based environment.
It is available at
http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/PE_DataPath_en.pdf

ARCHIVE

http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/
--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream