[syslog-ng] cisco/squid feedback

Clayton Dukes cdukes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:28:35 CET 2011

The * and . characters are NTP problems - they mean that your devices are
not configured/synched properly:
Symbol  Description

*       Time is not authoritative: the software clock is not in sync or has
never been set.

(blank) Time is authoritative: the software clock is in sync or has just
been set manually

.       Time is authoritative, but NTP is not synchronized: the software
clock was in sync, but has since lost contact with all configured NTP
servers

I'm using:
$S_YEAR-$S_MONTH-$S_DAY
$S_HOUR:$S_MIN:$S_SEC\t$HOST\t$PRI\t$PROGRAM\t$MSGONLY\n

I use tabs as a delimiter, but of course you can use the delim of your
choice :-)

In my parser, I use:
my $re_pipe = qr/(\S+ \S+)\t(\S+)\t(\d+)\t(\S+).*\t(.*)/;
my $re_mne = qr/\%([A-Z\-\d\_]+?\-\d+\-[A-Z\-\_\d]+?)(?:\:|\s)/; # Cisco
Mnemonics capture

...while loop:
# v3.2 Fields are: TS, Host, PRI, Program,  and MSG
 if ($msg =~ m/$re_pipe/) {
        $ts = $1;
        $host = $2;
        $pri = $3;