[syslog-ng] cisco/squid feedback

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Mon Mar 7 15:07:11 CET 2011

Hi,

I think you have missed what I have set out to accomplish, digesting
and log analysis is not the problem I'm solving[1]

* Clayton Dukes <cdukes at gmail.com> [2011-03-07 08:40:55-0500]:

> Cisco messages are easy to log than most IMHO.

The sequence number and scattering of '*'/'.' infront of the timestamp
makes it anything but easy to log; especially if you want to trust the
sending host's timestamp and have all your output logs in a *standard*
format[2].

Cisco devices do *not* send messages in a format syslog-ng cannot parse
directly (or not one I have found).  Why does IOS sometimes put a '.'
infront of the date and other times does not?  The only helpful bit I
got from your whitepaper is now I know what '*' means, no idea why you
did not just append '+02:30' or whatever on the date instead?

I'm trying to normalise the cruft IOS sends me, not analyse it.  Once it
is in a standard format I can use generic shell/perl scripts to parse
the contents, rather than custom Cisco-only scripts.

Cheers

[1] I actually prefer a daily cronjob of various types of 'catches of
	the day', generated from awk/perl scripts that get dumped into
	my mailbox.  For example, 'top ten' egress user IP's appearing
	in the firewall.  This is just how I like to butter by bread
	though :)
[2] I really like the output from "$ISODATE $FULLHOST
	<$FACILITY.$PRIORITY> $MSGHDR$MSGONLY"

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says:   Thank God I'm an atheist.