[syslog-ng] SYSLOG-NG and AIX packages.

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Jun 28 23:24:53 CEST 2011

dbarry at princesscruises.com writes:

> Greetings all:
>
> (Although it looks like this list is mostly populated by devs,  the
> descriptor describes it as a user mailiong list as well, so I hope this
> message is OK here.  If not, my apologies, and hopefully I can be
> re-directed.)

It's a users' and developers' list, your mail was sent to the best
place.

> My work enivo consists of some AIX boxes, versions 5.3L, 6.x, and now 7.1.
>   I believe our AIX team would be comfortable deploying standard packages,
> however, from what I can see in the evaluation section, it looks like the
> latest AIX packages I see is syslog-ng-2.0.10-1.aix5.2.ppc  I see packages
> for other distros, but I think that is all for AIX..
>
> From what I know, our AIX team doesn't typically build and complile, the
> mostly install and run pre-packaged items on them, such as webservers,
> databases, etc.  In my poking around, I see that there is active
> development with AIX in mind, but if I am understanding correctly, there
> are no current AIX packaged distros --- they have to be built by the end
> user.
>
> Is this correct?  Can we purchase compiled packages and binaries for our
> environment?

syslog-ng premium edition is available for AIX as a precompiled
installer kit, yes.

http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/central-syslog-server/features
lists AIX 6.1 on PowerPC as a supported platform for example, and
http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/central-syslog-server/specifications
lists all the supported platforms for syslog-ng PE.

AIX 7.1 is not supported by the looks of it, though, but that may not be
an unsolvable problem (but that's just my opinion, so don't take my word
for it).

> Or is compiling a build/package something that is trivial?

On AIX? Nope, not really.

> For now, these boxes would only really be "clients", if that makes any
> difference at all.

If you'd like to purchase the premium edition, then it does make a
difference, but that's something our sales department can tell you more
about. (Or perhaps it's available on our website too - I haven't
looked).

> And if I am wrong, and should be looking elsewhere for more recent AIX
> binaries/packages I would really appreciate a point in the right
> direction.  I'd really be grateful for some guidance here.

The links above are useful starting points, I believe. Other than that,
the evaluation request page might be of interest to you:
http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/central-syslog-server/evaluation

Hope I could help!