[syslog-ng] TCP vs. UDP

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Jun 27 17:29:27 CEST 2011

Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at barcelonamedia.org> writes:

> Hello again, I am reading on internet about syslog-ng. Next week I
> will start to change all my syslog configuration. I have 50 servers
> with rsyslog on client side and syslog-ng on the server side. The logs
> goes with UDP on the LAN.
>
> Is it better TCP? I am on a secure LAN so I don't going to apply SSL yet.
>
> Is there any important advantage using TCP? Any recommendation¿?

I'd strongly suggest using TCP.

For comparsion on why it's better, quick searching found the following
page, which - in my opinion - is a reasonable summary:

http://www.laynetworks.com/Comparative%20analysis_TCP%20Vs%20UDP.htm

The "User Datagram Protocol" entry on WikiPedia also has a shorter, yet
still useful summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol#Comparison_of_UDP_and_TCP