[syslog-ng] issues with syslog-ng install of new version or running older version on mac osX 10.6.7

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sat Jun 4 13:26:45 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 12:37 -0400, Frank Scalzo wrote:
> I have tried the dmz installed it still not logging
>
> i am tryng to upgrade to version 3.2.4 from 3.0.8 to see if that might
> fix my issue
>
> I have installed eventlog 2.12 but when i try to do my config it still
> says i have event log 2.0.9

the configure script detects eventlog using the pkg-config command,
something like:

pkg-config --cflags eventlog

pkg-config uses so named .pc files to find out where things are located,
and uses PKG_CONFIG_PATH as a list of directories where it looks for .pc
files. By default it uses /usr/lib/pkg-config

If you have multiple eventlog versions (because the OS supplied you one,
and then you installed one from source), they are probably located at
different locations. The system supplied one usually lives under /usr,
the locally installed one in /usr/local

So it all depends on your PKG_CONFIG_PATH if it does find the new
version, or not.

You can either explicitly set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to contain the directory
with the new eventlog .pc, or you could also use the "low-level"
environment variables to substitute .pc files completely. Quoting the
configure help about environment variables:

  EVTLOG_CFLAGS
              C compiler flags for EVTLOG, overriding pkg-config
  EVTLOG_LIBS linker flags for EVTLOG, overriding pkg-config

> just to see if i could bypass it I changed  the the min eventlog to
> the version it says i have in the configure file
>
> do a config no problem but now fail on the make with
>
> mv:rename .deps/misc.tpo .deps/misc.plo no such file or dir
> make [3]: *** [misc.lo] error 1
> make [2]: *** [all] error 2
> make [1]: *** [all-recursive] error 1
> make: *** [all] error 2
> all done in SU
>
> if i could get the other version to log I would be good and until i
> prove it works for us i can not tell them i want the pe version

Compiling syslog-ng can be tricky at times, but it's quite
straightforward if you know the standard build tools on Linux. (so
nothing tricky, syslog-ng has a lot of external dependencies).