[syslog-ng] Severity/Pri/Level

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Jul 22 11:00:36 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 14:32 -0700, Paul Muther wrote:
> Hi Bazsi,
>
> I hadn't thought of doing it that way.  :)
>
> So with this solution I define a template for each program/severity level I need and then use filters and parsers to find the entries for each template to apply to?

Well, that might be doable, but it really sounds more complicated than
it would need to be.

I'm thinking about making some of the macros to become "writable", like
LEVEL and FACILITY in the future. However this would certainly need some
core syslog-ng work.

A simpler implementation (and less elegant, but still better than the
one above) would be to create a plugin for setting the facility/priority
value as a rewrite rule. Would be quite easy to write.

What about this one:

rewrite r_fac { set-facility("kern"); set-severity("emerg"); };

I think this would be a piece of cake for someone trying to experiment
with plugin writing. Anyone volunteering?