[syslog-ng] Newer libtool and autoconf versions?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Jan 14 18:18:43 CET 2011

> Even with these changes there will still be a problem with pdbtool on
> Cygwin.  Since we have no static libs, and since it's not possible to
> link statically against a DLL, pdbtool requires cygdbparser.dll
> (equiv. libdbparser.so on Linux) to be in $PATH.  Given that the
> modules are in /usr/lib/syslog-ng, that's not feasible.
>
> Two possible solutions come to mind:
>
> - Either enable static libs for the dbparser libs and link pdbtool
>   statically.
>
> - Or, install pdbtool into /usr/lib/syslog-ng along the modules, and
>   make /usr/bin/pdbtool a symlink to /usr/lib/syslog-ng/pdbtool.
>
> Thoughts?

Honestly not much. I wouldn't like to install pdbtool
in /usr/lib/syslog-ng

I guess this works on Linux because an rpath is added to the pdbtool
executable. hmmm...

the only idea I have is to create a libsyslog-ng-patterndb.so library,
installed in /usr/lib and then libdbparser.so module would be linked
against that code.

pdbtool would only depend on libsyslog-ng-patterndb and no on the
syslog-ng plugin.

what do you think?