[syslog-ng] A couple of notes regarding packagability

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sat Aug 20 21:54:07 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 16:23 +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I started to play around with creating various packages of 3.3.0beta2,
> and noticed a couple of annoying bits and pieces (none of this is
> serious, I can workaround most if not all of them, but the packaging
> would be a lot simpler if I wouldn't have to):
>
> * I sent a patch back in May, which made it possible to use a
>   system-wide libmongo-client installation, but it does not appear to be
>   merged yet.
>
>   It is attached to this email, diffed against current git head.

applied, thanks.

> * autogen.sh is not executable in a fresh checkout, and this repeatedly
>   bites me over and over again.

hmm, it is executable for me, and is marked with the 'x' permission in
the git repository, at least according to gitweb:

http://git.balabit.hu/?p=bazsi/syslog-ng-3.3.git;a=tree;h=8a7f6854d26a7ea8fa8c1ff57554046481eb0786;hb=8a7f6854d26a7ea8fa8c1ff57554046481eb0786

> * autogen.sh will always try to call git submodule init when
>   autogenerating the submodules. I'd like a way to skip this step, and
>   just use whatever is in the subdirectories, assuming there IS
>   something.
>
>   The reason I want this, is because I'm building from a git checkout,
>   not a make dist'd tarball, and my build chroots do not have network
>   access (nor do I want to give them any).

I was thinking about this already too, so knocking on open doors. I've
commited a Proof-of-concept on my autogen branch.

> * It would also be nice if autogen.sh used the --copy flag for
>   libtoolize and automake.

ok, not done anything on this.

> * When the system-wide libmongo-client support patch is applied, and
>   syslog-ng is built with --with-libmongo-client=system, make distclean
>   will fail, as it tries to clean in modules/afmongodb/libmongo-client/,
>   while that hasn't been configured in.
>
>   I do not know an easy solution around this, except maybe overriding
>   DIST_SUBDIRS with SUBDIRS for the distclean-recursive target in
>   modules/afmongodb/ - but that sounds like a crude hack, and I haven't
>   tested if it actually works.

I'd have to think about this. The reason is that AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS() is
not invoked in this case, but calling that would run the configure
script for libmongo-client, even if it wasn't used.

> It is very likely, that I'll submit a patch for system() to recognise
> GNU/kFreeBSD and create the appropriate entries.

would be welcome.

> PS: syslog-ng 3.3.0beta2 packages for Debian squeeze & sid should be
> available by the end of the coming week, for i386, amd64 and
> kfreebsd-amd64 at least. I just have to iron out a few issues and add
> some finishing touches to my build farm.

very cool.