[syslog-ng] A couple of notes regarding packagability

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sat Aug 20 16:23:51 CEST 2011

Hi!

I started to play around with creating various packages of 3.3.0beta2,
and noticed a couple of annoying bits and pieces (none of this is
serious, I can workaround most if not all of them, but the packaging
would be a lot simpler if I wouldn't have to):

* I sent a patch back in May, which made it possible to use a
  system-wide libmongo-client installation, but it does not appear to be
  merged yet.

  It is attached to this email, diffed against current git head.

* autogen.sh is not executable in a fresh checkout, and this repeatedly
  bites me over and over again.

* autogen.sh will always try to call git submodule init when
  autogenerating the submodules. I'd like a way to skip this step, and
  just use whatever is in the subdirectories, assuming there IS
  something.

  The reason I want this, is because I'm building from a git checkout,
  not a make dist'd tarball, and my build chroots do not have network
  access (nor do I want to give them any).

* It would also be nice if autogen.sh used the --copy flag for
  libtoolize and automake.

* When the system-wide libmongo-client support patch is applied, and
  syslog-ng is built with --with-libmongo-client=system, make distclean
  will fail, as it tries to clean in modules/afmongodb/libmongo-client/,
  while that hasn't been configured in.

  I do not know an easy solution around this, except maybe overriding
  DIST_SUBDIRS with SUBDIRS for the distclean-recursive target in
  modules/afmongodb/ - but that sounds like a crude hack, and I haven't
  tested if it actually works.

This is all, so far. I'll have another packaging sprint sometime
tomorrow, and see if I find anything else. I'll try to find time to
submit patches for the above, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to this
weekend.

It is very likely, that I'll submit a patch for system() to recognise
GNU/kFreeBSD and create the appropriate entries.

PS: syslog-ng 3.3.0beta2 packages for Debian squeeze & sid should be
available by the end of the coming week, for i386, amd64 and
kfreebsd-amd64 at least. I just have to iron out a few issues and add
some finishing touches to my build farm.