[syslog-ng] snmptrapd to syslog-ng 3.1

Balint Kovacs balint.kovacs at balabit.com
Sat Aug 20 12:30:12 CEST 2011

Hi Dan,

I am glad to hear that!

Just for the record, there are several points where you could debug this
kind of setup:
- set "doNotLogTraps no" in /etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf, this way you see
that snmptrapd processes the trap correctly
- add some logging to the python script (to a file) so that you see that
it has been started by snmptrapd and has received the trap correctly
- start syslog-ng in the foreground in debug mode (/usr/sbin/syslog-ng
-evtdF) so that it prints incoming log messages to stdout to see if it's
a formatting issue or the trap has not been received. Another approach
is that instead of syslog-ng start up socat or something alike to listen
to that socket to see if the trap arrives.

All the best,
Balint