[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Insider - April 2011

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu Apr 14 09:03:02 CEST 2011

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the second issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng related news.

Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com <mailto:documentation at balabit.com>

FEATURED NEWS

syslog-ng OSE 3.3 development

-----------------------------

The next syslog-ng release is developed at rocket speed. The second
alpha release brought in support for MongoDB as destination, and
threading for increased performance and scalability. Community
involvement in the development process is increasing, with many patches
and detailed bug reports, which helped to fix correlation problems.
Direct SMTP support is also available as a not yet merged patch. There
were also long discussions about JSON and name value pairs with
value-pairs() and tfjson() available as patches.

One can download the alpha2 release, or if impatient also check it out
from git, which has regular updates at
http://git.balabit.hu/?p=bazsi/syslog-ng-3.3.git;a=summary

Alpha2 release:
https://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2011/03/the-2nd-alpha-for-syslog-ng-3-3-is-released/

Mailing list archive with many patches:
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/

A blog, how to get started with coding:
http://algernon.blogs.balabit.com/2011/01/howto-write-a-simple-template-function-for-syslog-ng/

syslog-ng called open source project of the year

IDG hold its first Open Source conference on the 24th of February in
Hungary. A new award was established for open source projects, and it
was first given to syslog-ng OSE.

Blog series on web GUIs for syslog-ng

-------------------------------------

Web based GUIs for syslog-ng is a hot topic recently, so a new blog
series was started. Loganalyzer, Loggly and Logzilla are already covered
and a few more reviews (ELSA, Octopussy) are already under way. If you
have any suggestions what else to cover, please let us know!

Logzilla (formerly php-syslog-ng):
http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/04/logzilla-brings-syslog-ng-and-cisco-logs-to-the-next-level/

Loganalyzer: https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/02/loganalyzer/

Loggly: https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/03/logging-to-the-cloud/

Support the syslog-ng project with your testimonial!

We send syslog-ng T-Shirts for the best use-cases and testimonials. We
are especially interested in how you use syslog-ng: your environment,
performance metrics, the UNIX platforms that you use and anything that
you deem interesting about your setup. This is your possibility to
influence the syslog-ng development process and to help the syslog-ng
project.

http://www.balabit.com/testimonials/send

OTHER SHORT NEWS

    *

      openSUSE 11.4 comes with syslog-ng 3.2:
      https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/03/opensuse-11-4-with-syslog-ng-and-systemd/

    *

      FreeBSD 8.2 comes with syslog-ng 3.2:
      https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2011/02/freebsd-8-2-released/

    *

      Intrusion prevention based on syslog-ng and patterndb:
      https://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2011/02/another-nice-hack-with-syslog-ng/

    *

      ELSA (Enterprise Log Search and Archive Project) had its first
      public release:
      http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-log-search-and-archive

RECENT WHITEPAPERS

    *

      http://www.balabit.com/whitepaper?wp=8988187171444164966624785

      This document aims at briefly demonstrating the technological and
      business processes that led to the revaluation of log information
      to such an extent that its collection and procession has become
      one of the most essential tasks of contemporary corporate IT.
      Furthermore, we attempt to identify those critical points of a
      central logging management project that determine its success the
      most. We hope that taking our six pieces of advice relating to
      these six points will substantially contribute to the successful
      professional activities of our readers.

ARCHIVE

http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream