[syslog-ng] [RFC]: afsql improvement plans

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Apr 1 15:31:51 CEST 2011

Martin Holste <mcholste at gmail.com> writes:

> You've laid everything out nicely, but you're missing a huge one:
> HandlerSocket!  I would forget about all of the INSERT variations and
> focus on a HanderSocket implementation.  Check out the MySQL
> Performance Blog articles on it, and you'll see that according to
> their numbers, you can get LOAD DATA speed with normal inserts using
> it.  The only catch with it is you can't use auto-increment columns,
> so $SEQNUM or something would have to be used for an id.

Right, I knew I forgot something, thank you!

The catch with HandlerSocket is that it's an additional plugin for
MySQL, so there needs to be an alternative way to log to MySQL at decent
speed even without it.

It also lacks a C API, but that's not a big deal, either.

I'll read up on it, and probably go with supporting both LOAD DATA and
HandlerSocket (after thinking a bit more about the INSERT variations,
the few things I didn't like about LOAD DATA aren't that severe that
would make it worth exploring the INSERT options).