[syslog-ng] Insert hostname instead of overwrite ?

Lance Laursen lance at demonware.net
Fri Sep 3 08:26:19 CEST 2010

Hey,

Sorry I didn't read your original email hard enough. So basically, out of
the box syslog-ng is attempting to parse your non-rfc-standard log entries,
and as a result the "Server" column after the time and date is being
assigned the $HOST macro, whilst the rest of the message is getting thrown
into $MSG. Out of the box syslog-ng tries its best to parse messages
appropriately, but in this case it's close enough to RFC standard that it's
just not getting it right. Dell stuff is a bit too windowy.
Setting flags(no-parse) will solve your problem, except that if you assign
it to the /dev/log source, all of your other logs are going to be affected.
This does suck. Can you get dell openmanage to send to a network location?
If so, you could make a network source (127.0.0.1:12345) and set the
flags(no-parse) on that. After you set no-parse, you'll have to either use
csv-parser or patterndb to pull out the fields (ie: the date, then the rest
of the message), and write out/relay the message using a template. Isolating
this source will negate any issues with other logs. I would recommend
googling how to parse apache logs (or another common app with non-rfc logs)
with syslog-ng for examples on templating and the no-parse option.