[syslog-ng] Insert hostname instead of overwrite ?

stucky stucky101 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 04:52:23 CEST 2010

Guys

Let me clarify. This is not on the syslog server but the clients. I need to
make 100% sure clients have the correct hostname set _before_ they even send
the message to the log server.
So this is for the /dev/log, proc/kmsg source. I need the correct hostname
field set by the time the server gets it since I log to a SNAT VIP so the
server thinks everything comes from
the loadbalancer hence dns is out.
Having said that I could try your approach on any src not only a tcp source
I assume. Not sure if the regex is worth the pain. It might introduce more
issues.

So the answer is out of the box syslog only "overwrites" the hostfield. It
doesn't squeeze it in right ?

stucky