[syslog-ng] configure installation path in a on-interactive installation

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Sep 2 17:24:00 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 16:24 +0200, Hoenig, Stefan, VF-Group wrote:
> Hi there,
> is it possible to install syslog-ng PE to another path than the
> default /opt/syslog-ng and use this argument
> in a non-interactive installation. I tried to configure it by using
> the .run installer but no option is displayed
> to change the path.
>
> Any ideas or commentrs ???
>
> With best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

It is not possible right now, at least with the BalaBit binaries. The
paths are hard-coded, but if you move the files and put symlink
in /opt/syslog-ng should work.

The path is hard-coded in both the syslog-ng binary (when it opens the
configuration file etc), but also in the rpath setting in the binary.
The first can be overridden with command line options the (mind all the
files not just the configuration), rpath can be changed using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but that also depends on your platform.