[syslog-ng] Error opening log file for writing

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu Oct 28 20:33:02 CEST 2010

Hello,

On 10/28/2010 06:51 PM, Bill Snow wrote:
> I have a openSUSE 11.3 system that I installed syslog-ng on through
> package management.  The intention of the simple config is to get it to
> write log file messages from one program (pdns) to a separate log file
> outside of /var/log.
>
> No matter what I do with the file and directory permissions, I always get
> something like:
>    syslog-ng[17864]: Error opening file for writing;
>    filename='/opt/home/user/logs/pdns.log', error='Permission
>    denied (13)'
> in the log file.

It's SuSE with a log file not at the standard location. The usual
suspect in this case is AppArmor. You should either disable it or add a
rule to /etc/apparmor.d/sbin.syslog-ng

  /opt/home/user/logs/** w,

should do the trick.
Bye,

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream