[syslog-ng] pdbtool patternize update and my syslog-ng 3.2 branch

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Mon Oct 18 21:47:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 09:55:28AM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:59:58AM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> > you can always compile the libraries to a custom prefix so that it
> > doesn't break the core system.
>
> Yes I tried this method but PCRE also wanted newer autotools.

> > > On RHEL 4 and 5 it requires too new of a PCRE.
> >
> > Hmm.. I'm willing to change this, IIRC it is only the
> > PCRE_NEWLINE_ANYCRLF flag is missing from old PCRE, which can be
> > compiled conditionally.
> >
> > Can you try the attached patch?
>
> Thanks. I will certainly try out the patch if I can work around the next
> issue.
>
> > > If you install the PCRE, you can break the system because other
> > > things could get angry that PCRE was changed. But even when you try
> > > to compile PCRE that fails because the autotools are too old and a
> > > ton of macros you need are missing.
> >
> > autotools is not that important issue since I'm generating the files
> > when I release a tarball, so the generated files are there. of course if
> > you want to change the autotools input files, then that's a problem.
>
> That wouldn't necessarily help in my case because I was using GYP's code
> from Git, then I switched to yours when you said you mainlined GYP's
> patternize code. The Git code does not include built-out autotools
> scripts.
>
> If the patternize is available in your recent 3.2 beta tarballs with
> built-out scripts, I can try the build on there. I will work on this
> today and report back, since your timezone is 9 hours ahead of mine.
>
> Matthew.

Your patch modified configure.in. So I had to copy the patched 3.2 beta
1 over onto Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to be able to rerun the autotools and copy
it back.

I have another problem. RHEL 5 is missing this file:

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc

So I created a faked out version based on Ubuntu's file with the version
number modified to match the RHEL 5 glib RPM's version.

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

glib_genmarshal=glib-genmarshal
gobject_query=gobject-query
glib_mkenums=glib-mkenums

Name: GLib
Version: 2.24.1
Libs: -L${libdir} -lglib-2.0
Libs.private:
Cflags: -I${includedir}/glib-2.0 -I${libdir}/glib-2.0/include

After adding that, and running configure as follows:

./configure --prefix=/home/megahall/sng --enable-debug --enable-ssl
--enable-mixed-linking --enable-tcp-wrapper --enable-spoof-source
--disable-sql --enable-pacct --enable-pcre

Then I get the following errors:

checking for LIBDBI... Package dbi was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbi.pc'
No package 'dbi' found
no
checking for dbi_initialize in -ldbi... no

checking for GLIB... Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.10.1' but version of GLib
is 2.4.7-1

configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.10.1 gmodule-2.0)
were not met:

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLIB_CFLAGS
and GLIB_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

So apparently RHEL 5 has too old of a glib too. I assume I must have
missed it last time because it failed on PCRE before it got to glib and
the script stopped running.

Matthew.