[syslog-ng] pdbtool patternize update and my syslog-ng 3.2 branch

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Mon Oct 18 18:55:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:59:58AM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> you can always compile the libraries to a custom prefix so that it
> doesn't break the core system.

Yes I tried this method but PCRE also wanted newer autotools.

> > > One thing caught my attention, you couldn't compile it on RHEL4/5? Why?
> > > I'd love to investigate if there's a problem there.
> >
> > On RHEL 4 and 5 it requires too new of a PCRE.
>
> Hmm.. I'm willing to change this, IIRC it is only the
> PCRE_NEWLINE_ANYCRLF flag is missing from old PCRE, which can be
> compiled conditionally.
>
> Can you try the attached patch?

Thanks. I will certainly try out the patch if I can work around the next
issue.

> > If you install the PCRE, you can break the system because other
> > things could get angry that PCRE was changed. But even when you try
> > to compile PCRE that fails because the autotools are too old and a
> > ton of macros you need are missing.
>
> autotools is not that important issue since I'm generating the files
> when I release a tarball, so the generated files are there. of course if
> you want to change the autotools input files, then that's a problem.

That wouldn't necessarily help in my case because I was using GYP's code
from Git, then I switched to yours when you said you mainlined GYP's
patternize code. The Git code does not include built-out autotools
scripts.

If the patternize is available in your recent 3.2 beta tarballs with
built-out scripts, I can try the build on there. I will work on this
today and report back, since your timezone is 9 hours ahead of mine.

Matthew.