[syslog-ng] unable to setup syslog-ng for log monitoring

Supratik Goswami supratiksekhar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 09:10:50 CET 2010

Hi

I am using syslog-ng 3.0 and I am trying to monitor log files. If there is
word "attackalert" found in the log file syslog-ng should invoke a script.
I created "/root/workspace/test" a bash script only with a simple echo
statement to check if it is working correctly or not. The problem is
whenever I start syslog-ng the script starts executing even if the word
"attackalert" is not recorded. The following is my syslog-ng.conf
configuration. Is there anything I am missing here ? Please advice.

options {
        flush_lines (0);
        time_reopen (10);
        log_fifo_size (1000);
        long_hostnames (off);
        use_dns (no);
        use_fqdn (no);
        create_dirs (no);
        keep_hostname (yes);
};

source s_file { file("/root/workspace/app_desktop/sup.log.php");};

destination d_prog { program("/root/workspace/test"); };

filter f_attack_alert {
        match("attackalert" value("MESSAGE"));
};

log {