[syslog-ng] syslog-ng gets started twice when system reboots

Xuan Zhong xuan_zhong at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 16:59:51 CET 2010

Please see my response inline.

> From: bazsi at balabit.hu
> To: syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:30:34 +0100
> Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] syslog-ng gets started twice when system reboots
>
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 04:03 +0000, Xuan Zhong wrote:
> > I tried to turn on syslog-ng only at level 3. syslog-ng still
> > got started twice when system rebooted.
> >

> Are you using the binaries downloaded from our website? Are you sure it
> starts twice, or it is just the output of the init script that is
> generated twice?

I use the stable version syslog-ng-3.0.5-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm downloaded from your website. It starts/stops twice only when the system reboots. The init script is only generated once. The second "Starting syslog-ng: [ok]" was generated by init script because I modified the init script text display and only the second start changed. Not sure where the first start comes from.

Starting syslog-ng: Starting syslog-ng: [ok]

[ok]

When the system shuts down, I saw the following:

Stopping syslog-ng: Stopping syslog-ng: [ok]

[ok]

Similarly, only the second "Stopping syslog-ng:" comes from the syslog-ng service script.

> What happens if you enter after stopping syslog-ng:
>
> # /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start
>
> Is the output displayed twice by issuing this single command? If it is,
> then it's the init script at fault. Although we're running automated
> tests for the installer, we may not notice that something like this
> happen.

No. The service script /etc/init.d/syslog-ng works fine.

Thanks

Xuan