[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.0.8, 3.0.9 not sending logs to centralized log host

Bill Anderson Bill.Anderson at bodybuilding.com
Wed Dec 22 18:58:31 CET 2010

From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu [syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Jarrett Lee [jarrett.lee at oversightsystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:35 AM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.0.8,       3.0.9 not sending logs to centralized log host

> If you have a lot of different apps or logging scenarios that are in
> parallel to each other like we do here, you can write a "stub" syslog-ng
> configuration file, and use the include directive to include
> configurations from a directory such as /etc/syslog-ng.conf.d, or
> something such.

I use this basic method for handling different host types in Puppet (a config mgmt tool). I combined it with sites config directory Apache uses. So I have a configs-available directory where I have *_server, *_relay, *_client files for each of the different types of syslog nodes, and the configs-enabled with symlinks to the right files based on the node type. It is working reasonably well. I get a few hiccups from time to time, such as "syslog-ng -s" not catching referenced but undefined objects such as destinations to sources. But overall it works decently enough. Will probably wind up writing a little sanity checker so I know what files are required by which files.