[syslog-ng] Running two syslog-ng instances

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sat Sep 12 08:13:37 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 18:48 +0100, Pedro Rafael Alves Simoes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to run two syslog-ng instances on a machine. I'm going to
> receive two heavy "streams" of events. The two syslog-ng's will have
> different configurations files. My question is: Assuming that just one
> syslog-ng isn't enough, this is the best way to do this? There is any
> drawback? Is a virtualized system (for example Xen on the same
> machine) a better option (isolating the syslog-ng instances and
> configurations)?

Well, it also depends on what you are trying to achieve, but simply
because you want to run two instances of syslog-ng, I would not put them
both on virtualized systems.

You need to specify the configuration file, pidfile and persistent
config file paths via the command line explicitly, and may need to
adjust the init script, but otherwise it should be perfectly doable to
run two separated instances on the same machine.