[syslog-ng] Problems with syslog-ng

Jain, Vaibhav (GE Healthcare) Vaibhav.Jain at ge.com
Thu Sep 3 06:30:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

As per my understaning the buffering facility is only supported in the
premium version but I am using the Open source verison that's why I
asked these questions.

Does syslog-ng open source supports the buffering facility for log
messages ? If syslog-ng server is down then does syslog-ng client
buffers the log message? What it the maximum limit of buffer size and
how to set it in syslog-ng open source configuration file? Is it
log_fifo_size() ?

I am using the following code in logrotate.d file to send the HUP signal
to syslog-ng. Let me know this is correct way to send the HUP signal to
syslog-ng or not ? Do I need to add any configuration in syslog-ng ? Is
there any chance to loss the data?

/var/log/*.log {
    postrotate
        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd-ng.pid 2> /dev/null` 2>
/dev/null ||
true
    endscript
}