[syslog-ng] Problems with syslog-ng

Sandor Geller Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Wed Sep 2 15:53:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:46 AM, Jain, Vaibhav (GE
Healthcare)<Vaibhav.Jain at ge.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anybody help me ? This is the first time I am not getting any
> response from this forum. Please help!

Don't get this wrong but your questions were too generic. syslog-ng
uses internal buffering for logs so when there is a problem with a
destination then syslog-ng keeps messages in the buffer. When the
buffer gets overrun then syslog-ng starts dropping old messages.

syslog-ng OSE doesn't deal with log rotation on its own. It just opens
a "file" and then uses the given fd. It doesn't try to close and
reopen destinations as long as writes succeed. So If you rename the
file and/or create another with the same name then syslog-ng won't
notice it and will happily write to the same fd, just like unix apps
usually do. It's a common practice to send a HUP signal to the syslog
daemon when log rotation occured.

hth,

Sandor