[syslog-ng] Syslog-NG interpreting Cisco message'count'numberas$Program

Patrick Smith patrick at Paypros.com
Fri Oct 30 16:32:10 CET 2009

I looked at that and in general it should work but I had two thoughts:

1.	host() matches the hostname field in the message so if that
isn't configured then it will be missed.  I suppose that's something
that should be fixed on a case by case basis though.
2.	I'd prefer to use a wildcard for the netmask but there are other
non-cisco devices on the same subnet.

________________________________

From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
[mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Clayton Dukes
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 7:22 AM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] Syslog-NG interpreting Cisco
message'count'numberas$Program

I'm not a syslog-ng expert, but:

netmask(192.168.10.9)

You can use wildcards (or regex) here, also, shouldn't that be host and
not netmask?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Patrick Smith <patrick at paypros.com>
wrote:

Now that my mysql pipe issues are sorted out thought I'd post back with
my hackaround for this issue.  I did find an old post with an
explanation as to where the numbers come from:
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2007-December/011057.html
So, trusting that is true, they are event numbers, not count or sequence
numbers.  I haven't found any documentation on event numbers yet, maybe
it's just another term for sequence numbers, but if that were the case I
should have been able to turn them off.

Don't have a lot of time to look for a better fix so for now I just did
the following, if it helps anyone.

# Local file destination sorted by host, program
destination d_localfiles {

       file("/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/$PROGRAM-$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY.log");
};

# Local file destination sorted by host, program  (currently only used
by Cisco switches)
destination d_localfiles-noProgram {
       file("/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY.log");
};

# Filter listing all cisco switches (could be a pain to manage in large
environments)
filter f_ciscosw {      netmask(192.168.10.8) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.9) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.10) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.11) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.12) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.13) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.12) or
                       netmask(192.168.10.24); };

# Filter for all other hosts
filter f_allsystem {
facility(local0,local1,local2,local3,local4,local5,local6,local7) and
not filter(f_ciscosw); };

# Pipe to mysql, putting Cisco switch messages through same pipe seems
to work fine.  i.e.does not write the event number in the program field.
* Pipe is the default used in the logzilla 2.9.9n wiki install guide)
log { source(s_remote); filter(f_allsystem); destination(d_mysql); };
log { source(s_remote); filter(f_ciscosw); destination(d_mysql); };

# Log declarations, one for Cisco switches, the other for everything
else.
log { source(s_remote); filter(f_allsystem); destination(d_localfiles);
};
log { source(s_remote); filter(f_ciscosw);
destination(d_localfiles-noProgram); };

Cheers.