[syslog-ng] Cisco Catalyst switches

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri Dec 14 23:12:12 CET 2007

Really Cisco should update their gear to send properly formated syslog messages.

The leading number is an event number, which will be an ever incrementing number.
This was done because standard syslog does not support fine enough timestamps (miliseceonds)
and standard syslog does not guarantee the order of messages, and because the Cisco
gear can generate hundreds of messages per second. Given all of this, getting the events
in the correct order was near impossible, so Cisco added the event number, hwever, they added
it in the wrong location and screwed up the syslog message format.

Evan.