[syslog-ng] syslog-ng3 with SQL on FreeBSD

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Oct 29 22:08:40 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 06:56:38PM +0100, Pal Tamas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working on getting syslog-ng 3.0.3 to support SQL on FreeBSD, and
> > hopefully get it added to the FreeBSD package or port.  It looks like
> > something isn't quite right in the configure script, however.
> >
> > I have libdbi 0.8.3 installed, but "./configure --enable-sql=yes"
> > still reports:
> >
> > checking for LIBDBI... gnome-config: not found
> > no
> Did you installed pkg-config from ports? If not, please install it and
> re-run configure with the PKG_CONFIG_PATH set to
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig (this is where libdbi installed the dbi.pc
> config file)

Thanks for your answer.  Yes, pkg-config was installed from ports, and
it's a dependency for about 60 other packages built from source, so I
assumed it was working.  I also built libdbi from ports.  But my
/usr/local/lib/pkg-config is empty, and a "locate dbi.pc" shows it
doesn't exist on this system.  /usr/local/lib/pkg-config is also empty
on the other -current boxes I run elsewhere.

I assume you're going to send me back to figure out why pkg-config
isn't storing .pc files (and how building all the other software works
without any .pc files on the system), but let's proceed to the other
step...

> > checking for dbi_initialize in -ldbi... no
> This step will be skipped if library detection using pkg-config detection works.
> If not, please set include and library detection paths in CFLAGS and
> LDFLAGS variables before running configure. Ex:
> CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure ...
>
> Please note this only works in posix shells (bash, /bin/sh), in csh you
> have to set the variables before running configure.

That seems to have fixed the issue.

checking for LIBDBI... gnome-config: not found
no
checking for dbi_initialize in -ldbi... yes

I could hack the FreeBSD port to support setting these variables, but
I'd prefer to change as little as possible downstream.  Is there any
chance we could get the supporting changes made in the syslog-ng3
source?  If not, I'll get these set in the FreeBSD port patch I'll be
submitting (if necessary).

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/