[syslog-ng] udp drops

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Sun May 31 20:53:51 CEST 2009

Martin Holste <mcholste at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, how many messages per second was the stock syslogd able to
> process with minimal loss?

Between 15K and 18K / s.

> What method did you employ to determine loss?

Effectively:

n1=$(netstat -s -p udp | awk '/dropped due to full socket/ { print $1 }')
sleep 5
n2=$(netstat -s -p udp | awk '/dropped due to full socket/ { print $1 }')

(In reality, there's a tool that works much like sar(1) does and I can
query it for stats, but underneath it happens to use the above logic.)

> I am setting up a similar logging solution with NG using the db-parser module
> which takes considerable CPU.  I plan on using Cisco server load balancing
> to round-robin load balance on N number of syslog nodes to achieve zero
> loss

What's your plan for handling the messages on the N nodes?  Will they
all just log to their own filesystem, write to a shared filesystem,
write into a database, forward to another system, ... ?

-Jan