[syslog-ng] Inconsistent Command Line Arguments

Leonid Chaichenets chaichenets at int.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 24 16:06:02 CEST 2009

Hello Bazsi,

> You can get all arguments using --help-all, but there indeed seems to be
> an unintended change in the short arguments. However I don't think the
> problem is so serious as both the --chroot and --caps options validate
> their arguments:

actually I had exactly this problem (True Story (TM) :-p), -C
validates its arguments only if syslog-ng was compiled with
Linux-Caps:

# syslog-ng --version
syslog-ng 3.0.2
Enable-Linux-Caps: off
# syslog-ng -C /tmp
# pidof syslog-ng
19868 19866

One might think now, syslog-ng is chrooted in /tmp. Maybe its worth
adding a waring if -C is used and Linux-Caps are not available.

> The --help-all output properly lists command line arguments as it is
> working right now. (e.g. -R is listed for --persist-file and --chroot
> has no short option)

Thanks, thats great!

> I have two options:
>
> 1) break the configurations of those users which already switched to 3.0
> 2) break the configurations of those users who are yet to upgrade to 3.0
>
> I guess there are more users of the 2.x codebase than the ones that have
> already upgraded, and these options is quite rarely used anyway. I think
> I'll change the arguments back to their 2.0 equivalents and put a BIG
> WARNING in the announcement text.

I agree. Major linux distributions (Debian, SuSE, Ubuntu) do not ship
3.0.x yet, so the majority of users is probably still at 2.x.

--
Best Regards,
Leonid Chaichenets.