[syslog-ng] Backslash before quote

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Jun 11 15:27:10 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 19:14 +0100, Pennington, Philip wrote:
> Bazsi,
>

> Ok thanks, I think that does look like what I need.   I assume you meant
> template_escape(no)  (underscore not hyphen).

it does not matter, '-' and '_' are equivalent. The reason being that
these were inconsistent right from the start and I didn't want to break
compatibility over this.

So, you can write template-escape() or template_escape() they are the
same. (and the same rule applies for anything that has an underscore in
it).

This way at least you can be consistent in your configuration file which
one you want to use.

> I've tried a bit of experimentation and for some reason I can't seem to
> get it to drop the backslashes
>
> Is it correct to say this is required on the first and every "tcp"
> destination syslog relay in a chain as well as the final "file"
> destination?  (I was trying with relays).

If they are using templates(), then it can happen that each one adds
escaping.

> The admin guide does suggest that template_escape is a common option for
> every destination (presumably including tcp), are you aware of any known
> issues with this on version 2.0.5 ?

well, I can't remember, 2.0.5 is quite old, but you can always check the
changelogs (the NEWS file in the source distribution), I try hard to
write down important changes there.