[syslog-ng] New to syslog-ng, basic setup help reuqested

lance raymond lance.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 19:11:22 CEST 2009

Afternoon, looking to do some real basic logging for our webservers.  They
are all running ubuntu-server 8.10, and I have a standalone box which will
act as the 'log server'.  They have webmin installed, so I setup using that
as it seemed pretty straight forward.

So the server is running and when I start one of the webservers which I
configured, I recive the following error;
 * Starting system logging syslog-ng Error binding socket;
addr='AF_UNIX(/var/log/apache2/ws8.mydomain.com-access_log)', error='Address
already in use (98)'

I thought it might be due to apache running, so stopped that, but still the
same error.

the conf file is HUGE, and 95% is a stock install, so I will just put what
the client / server has that is specific to this item I wish to remote log.

Client:
destination WFLogger {
  udp(192.168.2.60);
  };
source domain_access {
  unix-stream("/var/log/apache2/ws8.domain.com-access_log");
  };
log {
  source(domain_access);
  destination(WFLogger);
  flags(catchall);
  };

On the server, I don't see anything that stands out that say's "accept
connections" so not sure if there is anything special that has to be done,
but the error on the client is immediate so that part seems to be a local
issue.

Thanks