[syslog-ng] Must Restart syslog-ng to send email

Fegan, Joe Joe.Fegan at hp.com
Tue Jul 7 15:00:32 CEST 2009

There are many problems with this example.

1. A syslog-ng "program" script is not allowed to process one message and exit. It must run in a loop, reading individual messages from its stdin and handling each one separately e.g. sending each as a separate email. Check the archives of this list, you will see that discussed many times.

2. The source you have defined will read the existing contents of that file when syslog-ng is started and send them to the script. That's all it will do. Run your restart test again - I expect that it sends you the exact same email every time, the first line of that log file.

Joe.