[syslog-ng] Syslog-NG Openssh RHEL 4

Christopher Bland chris at fdu.edu
Tue Jan 6 14:41:27 CET 2009

Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble logging sshd messages to my host.  Sshd logs
fine using syslog but I get nothing using Syslog-NG.  I tried changing
the SyslogFacility to DAEMON in  sshd_config and still nothing.  I have
the following lines in my config which should have caught something:

options {
    sync (0);
    time_reopen (10);
    log_fifo_size (1000);
    long_hostnames (off);
    use_dns (no);
    use_fqdn (no);
    create_dirs (no);
    keep_hostname (yes);
};

source s_local {
    file ("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: "));
    unix-dgram("/dev/log");
#    unix-stream("/dev/log");
    udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
    tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
    internal();
};

destination secure { file("/var/log/secure"); };
destination messages { file("/var/log/messages"); };

filter f_daemon { facility(daemon); };
filter f_authpriv { facility(auth, authpriv); };

log { source(s_local); filter(f_authpriv); destination(secure); };
log { source(s_local); filter(f_daemon); destination(messages); };
log { source(s_local);        destination(loghost); };

My sshd config looks like this:
Protocol 2
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
GSSAPIAuthentication yes
GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
UsePAM yes
AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES
AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL
Subsystem    sftp    /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

Any help is apprciated

-Chris